Thursday, March 24, 2016

Uraling after the big blizzard

Are you familiar with the expression about weather and the month of March?  Is it "In like a lion, out like a lamb" or "In like a lamb, out like a lion"?

Regardless, its the second version we're experiencing right this month as Easter approaches and the month winds down.

We got a pretty good amount of snow in the metro Denver area yesterday.  It was blizzard conditions at times, with the snow being blown horizontally by the strong winds.  We got perhaps a foot and half (more where it collected in drifts) in my neighborhood.  I spent a good couple of hours with the snow blower just to clear my driveway!  Heavy, wet, snow...not optimal for snow blowers.

Today we woke to clear and sunny skies, which led to go look for scenic sites before the snow melted.  The roads were not very well cleared yet, the untouched stuff in the center of the lanes had hardened and made pave roads feel like rock-strewn trails at times.

Didn't find much in terms of good photo op spots:



After dinner, it was time to find a nice snow covered parking lot for the sunset.  The sun had wiped out a lot of the snow on non-grassy surfaces so it was slim pickings to be found near my neighborhood.




Fiona update: I sent her existing old-style clutch perch and associated hardware to Bural who will modify them to accept the new URAL clutch cable.  Once I get them back, hopefully I can get Fiona on the road and progress further into sorting her out.

7 comments:

SonjaM said...

The winter has overstayed in our neck of the woods as well. We don't get the kind of blizzards you get, however it doesn't warm up. Hoping to get some riding in over the Easter holidays. Good look with sorting out Fiona, Dom.

David Masse said...

We had snow here yesterday as well. Thankfully only an inch or two. I'm hoping and earnestly wishing for clear roads, and ~4-7°C temps so that I can ride the ~300+ miles to Toronto on the 30th. I figure if Mother Nature pukes out the snow now, she'll settle down and warm up for a day or so next week.

Gorgeous sunsets beautifully captured Dom.

redlegsrides said...

SonjaM, hope you get your wish for some riding! Thanks.

David Masse, thanks...that last one turned out pretty good once I hit the "autofix" feature in Pixlr, it lookd "OK" before. Hope you have dry roads and not so cold temperatures for that ride.

Trobairitz said...

You guys had a blizzard? I should watch the news more.

redlegsrides said...

I don't watch the news at all Trobairitz.....

RichardM said...

Heavy, wet snow. Too dense to be any fun.

Pixlr? Have you been using it long?

redlegsrides said...

RichardM, been using pixlr for a few months now, I like it a lot, its simple with just a few annoyances.