Saturday, May 24, 2014

Memorial Day

Monday, the 26th of May is Memorial Day here in the U.S.A.  A day set aside to remember and honor those fallen in the service of this country.  Sadly, a lot of folks here in this country have forgotten or ignore the original purpose of this day, just enjoying the extra time off and enjoying life in this country.

Today, Saturday, Scarlett and I rode to Fort Logan National Cemetery, a ride that I do a couple or more times a year, to show my respects to the fallen servicemen and women that rest there now.

It was a sunny day here in Denver, lots of clouds in the sky foreboding the seemingly daily rains and thunderstorms of this week.

As usual, it was very quiet at the cemetery, one could hear the birds sing at times, and I saw many folks walking about or standing by a particular grave stone, lost in their own thoughts and memories.

I stopped by section 44 as usual, and had a quiet chat at SSgt Brian Joiner's gravesite.  Brought Brian up to date on his family's events, how his Dad's house in the mountains had been rebuilt from the big fires of two years ago.  I am sure this was all old news to Brian, as I know his parents, family and friends make regular visits to Fort Logan.

Brian's tombstone is at the center.
The above is just a small, small view of the large number
of uniformly aligned rows of white tombstones.

I left Brian to his rest, and Scarlett and I motored on to the main site for the cemetery.  Here they'll have the official Memorial Day Ceremony this coming Monday.  Speeches will be made, ceremonies carried out and taps sounded for all the fallen.


I'll be flying the National Colors on Monday, to render honors to the fallen, I hope you will too, if you live in this country; and hopefully will take a moment or two to remember those who gave their all.

2 comments:

Deb said...

Very nice post! I like that they actually have a memorial ceremony there as well. Haven't seen that since my military days.

GlennandSun said...

Thanks for your post and photos. The common bond, the endless rows of stones marking the final testimony of their service and many the ultimate sacrifice. Sun and I will spend time with the Unknown interned in Fort Lewis...he fell unknown in WWII in the south Pacific. He shares the quiet, peaceful ground with Blake who fell as a Ranger in Iraq....along with those from Vietnam, Korea, and WWI. As you fly Old Glory, we too remember that nearly 240 years of sacrifice and honor has made possible the freedom we enjoy. GlennandSun