Saturday, December 06, 2008

A Ride on Prairie Roads

A beautiful sunny day here in Colorado with temperatures in the mid 50s.

I left home a bit after lunch after a morning of watching my two sons sledding down a somewhat snow covered hill at the local high school. They seemed to have a blast in spite of the very little snow remaining from Thursday's storm.

During my ride, I rode by the same spot where the boys had sledded in the morning, the snow was all gone. That's pretty much what I saw as I wandered about the county roads to the east of where I live.

I took these shots on a side road off of Quincy Road, it leads to the International Order of Operating Engineers' post #9 I think. The angle is nice in that you can pose the motorcycle and see the two lane road leading off to the East amidst the plains.

Looking East towards the Eastern Plains of Colorado

Looking West


I continued on Quincy until it junctions with County 137 which is also known as Kiowa-Bennett Road. I headed south and after a couple of miles or so, ran out of pavement. I'd usually turned around at this point when riding on Maria but continued on as I was riding Brigitta.

This road was packed dirt with some loose dirt around where driveways connected up to the road. Not too bad really, only one spot where I had to throttle down since the motorcycle was getting a bit "loose". Still, not too bad.

Eventually, as you near Kiowa, the road becomes nicely paved again and it's a smooth ride into the small town of Kiowa. I transited the town heading towards it's new water tower to the East of the town:


You can dimly see the Rockies way off in the distance

I pretty much did a clock-wise circuit with Kiowa at its 5 O'clock location, the town of Elizabeth at Six O'clock and my home at about 11 O'clock. All two lane county roads, lightly occupied by pickup trucks mostly. A nice little ride, less than 85 miles and perhaps 2.5hrs in the saddle. I also tried and enjoyed resting my legs on the upper portions of my engine guards; it felt good to stretch out the legs like the harley riders do.

1 comment:

Jack Riepe said...

Dear Charlie6 (Dom):

I haven't ridden in over a month due to cold weather or snow on the road. We are expecting a wet week, with one day in the 60's, and then a dramatic drop in temperature toward the weekend. I have mu doubts for riding in the immediate future.

Fondest regards,
Jack
Twisted Roads