Thursday, December 11, 2008

December Sunset in the Rockies

Rode home from work after a day of temperatures in the 40s with mostly sunny skies. I got home in time to catch the early news broadcast at 4PM. The weather guesser was blabbing about the weather but one thing he said caught my attention. He mentioned that the amount of clouds to the west hanging over the Rockies would cause a "golden sunset".

That was enough for me to gear up and rush to the nearby Plains Conservation Center where I last tried to catch a good picture of my motorcycle with a nice Colorado sunset in the background.

I waited till the sun was hidden by the front range of the Rockies and started shooting. Took me a while to figure out the settings to lock the aperture at F11 which is the smallest aperture my camera will do.

I then shot a total of 93 shots, varying the shutter speed and position of the camera which I rested on a nearby mailbox. It was shot number 87 that turned out the best.

f11 at 1/10 Shutter speed (I think)

I hope you like it, next time I have to try this with my loving wife's Nikon D50 DSLR which has better lenses.

By the time I was done, it was getting quite dark and cold. My hands were very cold since I'd been shooting pictures without my riding gloves on. I was very thankful for Maria's heated grips as I rode home, temps in the low 40s and mostly dry roads.

No comments: